Points: 10 pts (individual task)
Due date: Mon, Sep 16 at 11:59 p.m.
Summary: Create your personal brand logo and stylesheet. L2 Tutorial overview slide
Corporations, nonprofits, products, events, and movements are not the only groups that have logos. So do individuals. Establishing a personal brand is a great way to express yourself, differentiate yourself from others, and showcase creativity, consistency, and style. Fully defining your personal brand involves asking yourself – what do I stand for? What makes me unique? And what do I want people to say about me when I’m not there? It also involves establishing a visual style that can be displayed across social channels and online portfolio. For your Lesson 2 tutorial, you are going to create your own personal brand logo. Elements include:
- Fonts (up to 3)
- Color palette (2-5 “signature colors”)
- Logo design
Step 1: Log in or create an account in Canva at canva.com. It is recognized that there are many graphics tools available for logo and style sheet design – but for this task you are asked to use Canva.
Step 2: Create your logo
- Once you are logged in go to “Create a Design” > Logo
- Many free templates are available that you can use as the basis for your logo – or you can start with a white canvas
- Inclusion of an icon is optional
- Take time to consider your fonts – you can use up to 3 in your logo (with the free version of Canvas you cannot upload new fonts so please work with the Canvas selection)
- Take time to consider your desired color palette and what series of colors best represents your personality. Refer to color.adobe.com for inspiration
- Use “Elements” to bring in shapes, frames, icons, lines, etc.
- Use “Text” to for headline, sub-headline and body text
- Once you are happy with your logo (or variations of your logo) – download it as a jpeg or png
- Go to Uploads in the left menu > select your logo. You will need it for the stylesheet.
Step 3: Create your style sheet
- Follow the models provided to create a stylesheet. You can deviate from the model but be sure to include your logo, icons (if applicable), 3-5 colors, and up to 3 fonts
- The suggested size to use for your style sheet is Postcard but you can choose whatever format works best for you
- You can also include an image that represents your color palette, mood, or overall tone. Canva has several free images or check out pexels.com or pixabay.com for inspiration
Step 4: Turn it in
- When you are done with your stylesheet – save it as a pdf, jpeg or png
- Log in to Blackboard and access the 310 course space and Assignment Dropboxes folders
- Find Lesson 2 > Tutorial and upload your file > Submit
Students will be graded for completion of the task with an emphasis in following instructions, overall quality, completeness, accuracy, and presentation value.