In COMSTRAT 310 students work in teams to generate original social media, PR, and advertising campaign elements for a single fictional company, organization, event or initiative. Students will conceptualize a fictional brand or mock company.
Throughout the semester, students will create digital assets as part of an integrated campaign. In preparation, they will establish a project founded for brand, audience, and message. They will engage in visual storytelling and digital content creation for a website, social media channels, email marketing, online advertising and blog.
Categories for semester-long projects:
- Retail (e.g. fashion, merchandise, crafts, hobby store, online store, candy store, tattoo parlor)
- Hospitality (e.g. restaurant, food truck, brewery, winery, coffee shop)
- Travel (e.g. tours, resort, hotel, bed & breakfast)
- Sports (e.g. golf course, fitness center, sports complex, yoga studio)
- Event (e.g. concert, festival, fair, 5k run, wine tasting event, weddings)
- Nonprofit, philanthropy or political (e.g. supporting a specific cause, initiative, proposition or movement such as diabetes, heart disease, LGBT issues, veterans or fighting against childhood obesity, discrimination, eating disorders, etc.)
- Team orientation, setup and establishing your team charter
- Part 1: Creative brief, brand content, and identity package
- Part 2: Online presence and preliminary digital content
- Part 3: Branded materials, digital content creation, and Campaign #1 strategy
- Part 4: Campaign #1 implementation, monitoring, and metrics
- Part 5: Campaign #2 planning, implementation with new content creation, monitoring, and metrics
- Part 6: Final Report & Presentation
Project Success Metrics
- Identified the problem – or challenges your semester-long project addressed
- Established a vision and goals for your fictional organization
- Completed an exercise in naming your organization.
- Established a foundation for your project – identifying your organization’s mission, philosophy, and tone, conducting a SWOT analysis and mini competitor review, and crafting core messages for your organization through 5W’s, key terms and phrases
- Designed a logo and visual identity for your organization
- Created a profile of your ideal customer by outlining characterizations, level of awareness, goals and motivations, challenges and frustrations, and media usage habits
- Completed a customer decision process grid outlining an ideal customer’s behavior as they journey through stages of engagement with your organization
- Established a plan and vision for your website and social media engagement strategy
- Created and designed a website for your organization including top level pages and the integration of Google Analytics, and search engine optimization on every page
- Established social media channels including about and bio information and images.
- Designed two digital campaign strategies including the community of interest analysis, content strategy, campaign messaging, editorial calendar, and plan for monitoring campaign effectiveness through various metrics points.
- Implemented your campaigns including blog posts, social media posts, paid ads, and design and distribution of HTML emails.
- Monitored and reported on metrics from your campaigns with an emphasis on Google Analytics, social media metrics, advertising and email performance.